[AfriNIC-rpd] RE: [pdp-mg] Updated Version of IPv4 Soft Landing Proposal now Online

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:03:07 UTC 2010

Douglas,

here is your text in a quote-able format.  I have a few nits:

> Ref Name     AFPUB-2010-v4-004
> Author(s)    Douglas Onyango
> Organisation Digiclear E.Africa Ltd
>
> Incentive:
>
> In order to ensure a smooth transition  to IPv6,  AfriNIC's  pool
> should be managed to provide members with routable blocks

RIRs take great pains to never guarantee routability.  I would suggest
removing the word "routable"

  after the
> [...]
> address space prior to the Exhaustion phase.
>

> 3.4 End User
>
> An End User is an organization that receives assignments of IP
> addresses exclusively for use in its operational networks
>
> 3.5 Final /8 block of IPv4 address space, or "Final /8".
>
> The Final /8 block of IPv4 address space, or "Final /8", is the /8
> block of IPv4 address space that will be allocated by the IANA to
> AfriNIC in terms of section 2.2 C of the Global Policy for the
> Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space
> <http://www.icann.org/en/general/allocation-remaining-ipv4-space.html>
> at the time of exhaustion of the IANA pool of IPv4 address space.
> AfriNIC's version of the Global Policy for the Allocation of the
> Remaining IPv4 Address Space is also known as AFPUB-2009-v4-001
> <http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2009-v4-001.html>.
>

> 4 Summary
>
> This proposal describes how AfriNIC shall assign, allocate, and manage
> IPv4 resources during the "Exhaustion Phase" which begins when AfriNIC
> first needs to assign or allocate IP addresses from the Final /8 block
> of IPv4 address space.
>
> 5 Current Phase:
>
> The "Current Phase" is the status quo at the time of adoption of this
> policy.  During this phase, AfriNIC will continue allocating or
> assigning IPv4 addresses to LIRs and End Users using the current
> policies, including AFPUB-2005-v4-001
> <www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2005-v4-001.htm>,
> AFPUB-2006-GEN-001
> <http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2006-GEN-001.htm>, and any
> future amended versions of such policies.
>
> The current phase will continue until an otherwise-valid request for
> IPv4 address space from any LIR or end user to AfriNIC either (a)
> cannot be fulfilled with the IPv4 address space available in the
> AfriNIC pool (with the exception of the Last /8), or (b) can be
> fulfilled, but would leave the AfriNIC IPv4 address pool empty
(with
> the exception of the
> Last /8).
>
> The request that results in either of the above conditions being
> fulfilled will be the last IPv4 address space request that AfriNIC
> will accept from any LIR or End User in the Current Phase.  If the
> request can be processed in terms of the Current Phase policies, then
> it will be so processed; otherwise, it will be processed in terms of
> Exhaustion Phase policies.
>
> AfriNIC will publically announce that the Exhaustion Phase has begun
> at this point.
>
> 6 Exhaustion Phase:
>
> During the Exhaustion Phase, the following allocation and assignment
> policy will be used.  This policy applies to both LIRs and End Users,
> and applies at all times after the transition to the Exhaustion Phase,
> regardless of the amount of IPv4 address space available to AfriNIC.
>
> 6.1 The minimum allocation or assignment size for IPv4 will be a /27

I would like to see this changed to /24 so as not to encourage routing
bloat.  If for example, the NIC assigns a /27, the holder of that
block may have to pay their upstream more to route it than they would
pay for a /24, and it may get filtered upstream by folk who (now)
filter at /24 level.

 The maximum alocation or assignment size will
> be a /22 or 1024 addresses.
>

> 6.2) If any LIR or End User requesting IPv4 address space during the
> Exhaustion Phase does not already have IPv6 address space, then
> AfriNIC shall allocate or assign an IPv6 address block in compliance
> with the IPv6 allocation or assignment policies in effect at the time.
>
> 6.3) The current allocation and assignment period of 12 months shall
> be changed to 8 months. This will help to ensure that LIRs request
> only for resources they need in the short to medium term, and promote
> fairness in the equitable distribution of the last IPv4 address pool.
>

> 7 Allocation Criteria
>
> 7.1) In order to receive IPv4 allocations or assignments during the
> Exhaustion Phase, the LIR or End User must have used at least 90% of
> all previous allocations or assignments (including those made during
> both the Current Phase and the Exhaustion Phase).  In the case of new
> LIRs or End Users with no previous allocations or asignments, this
> requirement
> does not apply to their first allocation or assignment request.
>

> 7.2) If an LIR or End User does not already have IPv6 address space,
> then AfriNIC shall allocate or assign an IPv6 address block in
> compliance with the IPv6 allocation or assignment policies in effect
> at the time of the LIR or End User's first request for IPv4 address
> space during the Exhaustion Phase.
>
> 7.3) AfriNIC resources are for the AfriNIC geographical region. For
> each allocation or assignment made during the Exhaustion Phase, no
> more than 10% of these resources may be used outside of the AfriNIC
> region, and any use outside the AfriNIC region shall be solely in
> support of connectivity back to the AfriNIC region.
>

> 8 IPv4 Address Space Reserve
>
> A /12 IPv4 address block will be in reserve out of the Last /8. This
> /12 IPv4 address block shall be preserved by AfriNIC for some future
> uses, as yet unforeseen. The Internet is innovative and we cannot
> predict with certainty what might happen. Therefore, it is prudent to
> keep this block in reserve, just in case some future requirement
> creates a demand for IPv4 addresses.
>
> When AfriNIC can no longer meet any more requests for address space
> from the last /8 pool because the pool is either empty or has no more
> contiguous blocks, the Board will based on the demand and other
> factors at the time exercise the prerogative

missing commas and general wordsmithing on the below clause:

the Board may, based on demand and other factors at the time, exercise
their prerogative..

 to replenish the
> exhaustion pool from the reserve pool in a manner that is in the best
> interest of the community.

I think I am coming to the point where I can finally support this one ;-)

--
Cheers,

McTim