[AfriNIC-rpd] Last Call: IPv4 Soft Landing Proposal

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Wed Jun 23 14:03:40 UTC 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Auwal Tata wrote:

> Thanks MCTim, now somebody is actually thinking my direction. I raised
> this issue during the Afrinic meetings in Kigali. I said limiting an
> LIR to a /23 that will eventually subnetted and given out to endusers
> will be grossly inadequate. /23 only contains 2 /24s with just 254
> usable IPs how many end users can be accommodated with that. This will
> only encourage NATting. I dont suppose that exactly conforms with our
> cause.
> I believe some of us have this sentimental attachment  to IPV4 will
> not want to let go. I strongly think allocation of IPV4 should
> continue as is so it gets exhausted,

 The policy name is "Soft Landing..." and the motivations  are :

1- When we entered the exhaustion phase, We give chance to many to get IPv4 during the gradual transition  to  IPv6 and avoid that one or a few big ISPs justify the needs and take the /8 away

2- We have reserve for unforeseen future  which  i see may include upcoming IPv6-based provider and all the NAT-PT variants.......  and  who knows

3- Promote IPv6 deployment(the policy add IP6 allocation requirements...)

Hope this helps

--alain