[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv4 Soft Landing Policy

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 08:14:32 UTC 2010

Hello Scott,
Thanks for the inputs.....Comments inline

>It's unclear to me what happens if there remain smaller blocks outside the last /8 at the point a (large) request cannot be met.  For example, AfriNIC might have a /17, /19, /22, and four /24s left, when it gets a request for a /16 that it cannot meet.  At that point, the policy says that "During the exhaustion phase, the following allocation and assignment policy for the last /8 IPv4 address  will be used:", but doesn't specify whether addresses outside the last /8 will also be allocated in this way.  Perhaps it would be best to simply strike "the last /8", leaving something like "During the exhaustion phase, the following allocation and assignment policy for IPv4 address will be used".  That would also cover any reclaimed space from outside the last /8.

The proposal as is only caters for the /8 - there is general argument that the policy tries to do very many things at the same time, but i am personally ok with taking care of address space other than /8 when that time comes. This however is the foundation on which this policy is built hence calling of a fundamental change in overall direction. wonder what everyone else thinks......

>You might want to specify conditions for exiting the exhaustion phase someday (when sufficient space has been reclaimed and/or IPv4 demand has dwindled).

It's my thinking that at this point everyone should have moved to IPv6 hence there shouldn't be any need for addressing space bigger than what the exhaustion phase can provide

>It's unclear to me how many times an existing LIR can come back for address space in the exhaustion phase.  The Summary section's mention of 4 allocations seems to apply to everyone, but under Allocation Criteria for Existing LIRs it doesn't mention that like it does for New LIRs.

The Paragraph on Exhaustion phase clearly states 4 allocations......I am editing  Existing LIRs to explicitly mention.....as below:-

An existing LIR may receive a maximum of four (4) address blocks according to the allocation size in effect at the time of allocation in the AfriNIC region. However, the address blocks shall be issued one at a time.

And some minor nits:

Yes, the definition of LIR was adopted from existing documentation --- i have edited the definition....to:-

A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an Internet Registry (IR) that receives allocations from an RIR and assigns address space to customers who use it's services. LIRs are generally ISPs and their customers are end-users and possibly other ISPs. LIRs must be members of an RIR like AfriNIC; which serves the Africa Region and part of the Indian Ocean (Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, and Seychelles).

Is this better ?

>You might want to have the definitions for "Existing LIR" and "New LIR" simply reference the LIR definition rather than repeating the "defined

Noted, adopted

>You should probably replace all instances of "LIR's" that are plural and not possessive with "LIRs".

Noted, adopted

Regards,
Douglas Onyango +256(0712)981329

Life is the educators practical joke in which you spend the first half learning, and the second half learning that everything you learned in the first was wrong.