community - Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] About AFPUB-2010-GEN-001

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Tue Apr 6 17:41:40 UTC 2010

At 02:09 06-04-10, Dr Paulos Nyirenda wrote:
>I would like to mention that the use of the word "community" in the
>AfriNic PDP caused
>intensive debate in one or two meetings of the current PDP-MG and
>mention was made of
>refering this back to the "community" to resolve.
>
>In some cases the current PDP uses the wider Internet community as
>"anyone on the
>Internet" as described below but in others it seems to refer to the
>"African Internet
>community".

The current PDP document uses the word "community".  There was a
proposal last year that was written by someone who does not reside in
Africa.  People from outside Africa have taken part in discussions
about proposals.

"anyone on the Internet" might be "Internet Community".

There might be some differences between "African Internet community"
and "AfriNIC community".

Both the existing PDP document and the proposal use wider Internet
community for policy proposals and discussions.

"AfriNIC community" is currently used for the PDP-MG selection.  The
proposal uses "chosen by the community during the meeting.  That is
similar to "AfriNIC community".

>Some clarification on this as well would help the PDP-MG.

Should "community" be:

  1. people from Africa only?

  2. people from the "African Internet community"?

  3. people affected by AfriNIC (the company) policies?

  4. people involved in Internet operations (ISP, etc.) only?

  5. "anyone on the Internet"?

If you choose items 1 and 2, proposals can only be written and
discussed by people within Africa.  Items 3 and 4 involves clarifying
how to determine which people are part of the community.  Item 5
follows the openness principle.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy