[AfriNIC-rpd] Implementation of afpol-pdp200707

Lillian O. Sharpley lillian at afrinic.net
Tue Dec 15 13:10:16 UTC 2009

Dear SM, hope you are doing well. Please see inline responses to the four
questions you have addressed to AfriNIC. If you require additional
clarification, please feel free to contact us directly.

Sincerely,

Lillian Sharpley
Communications Area Manager
AfriNIC
(230) 466 6616
www.afrinic.net
---------------
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:53:32 -0800, sm+afrinic wrote
> Dear AfriNIC,
>
> I posted a proposal for Policy Development Process in  the AfriNIC
> service region (
> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2009/000815.html ).  After
> reading the information available on your web site, it is not clear
> which policy will be affected if the proposal is adopted by the community.
>
> According to a message posted on 27 February, 2008 (
> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2008/000568.html ), the
> policy proposal identified as afpol-pdp200707 was ratified by the
> Board on 30 January, 2008.  The webpage at
> http://www.afrinic.net/policy.htm shows that the date of approval for
> AFPUB-2008-GEN-001 is 27 February, 2008.
>
> The message posted about the ratification of the "AfriNIC Policy
> Development Process" policy mentions that:
>
>    "The staff is taking all appropriate measure to ensure their immediate
>     implementation where relevant."
>
> The policy documented on the AfriNIC web site (
> http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2008-GEN-001.htm ) states that:
>
>    "The policy should be ratified by the BoT at the subsequent Board Meeting"
>
> 1. Are the AFPUB-2008-GEN-001 and afpol-pdp200707 proposals the same?

Yes, these two proposals are the same.  As announced on the list earlier this
month, we have renamed the existing and proposed policies as part of a Document
Mangement System that we are implementing. As from tomorrow, both the 'old' and
'new' policy numbers will be reflected on the website for ease of reference.

> 2. As the implementation of the "AfriNIC Policy Development Process"
>     policy is directly relevant to this community, could you please
>     provide a report of the implementation?

We do not currently provide such reports, however, we generally send
announcements to the community once a new policy has been implemented. If you
would like information regarding implementation of a specific policy, please
contact us with an explanation of your requirements.

> 3. Does AfriNIC Ltd have a "BoT"?

AfriNIC now has a Board of Directors.

> 4. Are the requirements of the "AfriNIC Policy Development Process"
>     policy compliant with the bylaws of AfriNIC Ltd?

AfriNIC’s Bylaws only define how it is structured as a company and the
relationship with its members (in general) and does not define the Policy
Development Process (PDP). The PDP goes beyond the Legal structure of the
organisation. Today, a legal linkage between the PDP and the AfriNIC Bylaws does
not exist. The PDP and its outcomes define how AfriNIC manages IP addresses.
AfriNIC was incorporated as a legal entity before becoming a RIR, which is why
there is no direct mention of IP address management principles in the bylaws.