[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal for Policy Development Process in the AfriNIC service region]

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed Dec 9 19:43:45 UTC 2009

Hi Graham,
At 08:33 09-12-2009, Graham Beneke wrote:
>So - in summary... how does your proposal differ from the status quo?

Quoting a message you posted [1] to this mailing list:

   "The consensus at the public policy meeting was that global
    announcements are not a requirement but I think that we do
    need to clarify the exact intent and requirements of our
    current policies."

I don't see any reference to that in the message posted about the
"Outcomes of the Policy discussions at AfrINIC-11" [2].

Section 5.2 of this proposal mentions:

   "The Chair(s) shall publish the minutes of proceedings of the Public
    Policy Meeting not later than three weeks after the meeting."

Note that there is no mention about the minutes being published in
the existing policy.

Quoting a message from the author of an existing proposal [3]:

   May i point out that an earlier version of this document had the
10% that you
   now propose, the caveat was the fact that corporations could  match into the
   continent and signup for addresses only to repatriate them to other regions,
   hence the 100% usage within the service region (as in current proposal)."

I cannot find the earlier version of the proposal [4] on the AfriNIC
web site.  It is important to know what has been changed so that we
do not revisit the same issues again.

The incentive of the existing policy is to "to increase participation
from the community in the process".  This proposal takes a different
approach.  First of all, it defines the principles for policy
development which are :- openness, transparency and fairness.  There
are definitions of what these principles are about in Section 3.

According to the proposal, AfriNIC can be asked to provide an
analysis of the impact of the draft policy (Section 5.1).  It is
helpful to have that information if we want to determine whether a
proposal can be implemented.

If you do not agree with the Chairs, you have no recourse.  The
proposal addresses that shortcoming.  The existing proposal mentions
an "AfriNIC Board of Trustees".  AfriNIC has a Board of Directors.

I hope that the above summary explains to you how this proposal
differs from the status quo.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2009/000813.html