[AfriNIC-rpd] Address Utilization Criteria

Graham Beneke graham-ml at apolix.co.za
Mon Dec 7 06:57:25 UTC 2009

Walubengo J wrote:
> not sure if ULAs would address Graham's needs. From my understanding, he
> seems to want "Full-internet" services but constrained within a limited
> Geographic location (hence the likelihood that the block allocated need
> not be "globally" announced".

Correct.

> My understanding of ULAs is that they are "private" though  routable
> IPv6s. Not sure if the "private" aspect would compromise the
> "Full-internet" capabilities that Graham seeks. Put differently, he
> perhaps seeks an exception change in policy that requires globall
> announcements for IP allocations within 12mnths...

There is actually no explicit requirement in the wording of our policies
the requires *global* announcements. There is however an assumption that
if the prefix does not appear in a route-server then it has not been
announced.

The consensus at the public policy meeting was that global announcements
are not a requirement but I think that we do need to clarify the exact
intent and requirements of our current policies.

--
Graham Beneke
Apolix Internet Services