[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 Allocations to Non-Profit Networks

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu Sep 10 17:03:09 UTC 2009

At 01:08 03-09-2009, Graham Beneke wrote:
>The last time that this policy was being discussed we did not seem
>to be able to reach consensus on how to define the 'Non-Profit Networks'.
>
>The following definition from a parallel policy proposal in the ARIN
>region has been proposed:

ARIN is different from AfriNIC as most of the members are from two countries.

>A community network is any network organized and operated by a
>volunteer group operating as or under the fiscal support of a
>non-profit organization or university for the purpose of providing
>free or low-cost connectivity to the residents of their local
>service area. To be treated as a community network under ARIN
>policy, the applicant must certify to ARIN that the community
>network staff is 100% volunteers.

The university case would be covered under an existing policy.  You
might still have the problem of how to define a non-profit
organization.  As the ARIN community is more active that this one, it
is easier to assess what the applicant is certifying.

I suggest getting some AfriNIC members to support your proposal as it
may encourage the deployment of IPv6.

Regards,
-sm