[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 Allocations to Non-Profit Networks

Graham Beneke graham-ml at apolix.co.za
Thu Sep 3 08:08:06 UTC 2009

The last time that this policy was being discussed we did not seem to be
able to reach consensus on how to define the 'Non-Profit Networks'.

The following definition from a parallel policy proposal in the ARIN
region has been proposed:

A community network is any network organized and operated by a volunteer
group operating as or under the fiscal support of a non-profit
organization or university for the purpose of providing free or low-cost
connectivity to the residents of their local service area. To be treated
as a community network under ARIN policy, the applicant must certify to
ARIN that the community network staff is 100% volunteers.

This seems like a fairly solid definition. There may be a case to reduce
the volunteer staffing requirement down to 80-90% but I would support
the 100% volunteer staffing requirement.

A previous version of the ARIN policy also had a annual budget limit but
this is most likely not desirable.

Your comments and feedback on this definition would be appreciated.

regards
--
Graham Beneke
Apolix Internet Services