[AfriNIC-rpd] Last Call for Comments: Global Policy Proposal for the Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 23:56:48 UTC 2009

The idea is for IANA to redistribute addresses from RIRs with
reclaimed addresses to RIRs who need more. Without a policy like this,
there is no mechanism for redistributing anything smaller than a /8.
However, there is a lot of concern about making local RIR policy as
part of a global policy, so that debate is continuing, at least in
ARIN and RIPE, and you may see a modified version come back to AfriNIC
as a result.

The idea with the dates was to avoid conflict with end-of-year
holidays, etc.

-Scott