[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 Allocations for Non-Profit Networks

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Thu May 21 09:24:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009, Mark Elkins wrote:
> I understand the authors desire for IPv6 address space - and in that
> there seems to be no current way in which that can get address space -
> as there is no RFC1918 address space for IPv6.

It seems to me that the author's organisation could qualify as an LIR
and obtain an IPv6 /32 under existing policies.  I don't understand the
relevance of RFC1918 above -- presumably the organisation would wan tto
be properly conencted to the global Internet, not to use private address
space.  I also don't understand the relevance of the reference to IPv6
PI policy in the proposal -- the organisations targeted by this proposal
are themselves providers who would qualify as LIRs; they are not end
users who would need to either get space from an upstream provider or
get PI space from an RIR.

--apb (Alan Barrett)