[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: rpd Digest, Vol 37, Issue 2

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at yahoo.com
Wed May 20 07:41:51 UTC 2009

Ernest,

Thanks for availing the stats and SM for the comments; its
very apparent that if we move by allocation we are going to have around two and
ahalf years to exhaust our  /8 pool,
needless to mention that we intended to reserve another /16 for unforeseen
circumstances(Assumption: 0.350, is projected allocation for subsquent years)

Ernest, in the current v4 allocation policy, you require the
applicant to have proof of efficient use of address space, and also to have exceeded
an 80% utilization threshold before applying for any subsequent allocations.

Could you kindly bring up a similar graph (if possible),
only it should be based on usage as opposed to allocation.

Rationale: Allocations and actual usage we all agree are different,
and in a time of scarcity like this, I would suggest we  work with stats from the later and formulate a
good policy and ensure adherence as we know this will be the switch to this
pools life support system.

Leo: Generosity beyond this level(both on allocation size and blocks),  I really doubt if it will be possible.

Hard figures are not available so I cannot do any further
processing of the data, but If i were to take the highest value 0.350 as
projected allocations for the subsequent years, and factor in our current 90%
usage threshold,  people should be able to use 10% more addresses before asking for more(10% delay)

Technically if we are not giving it out, we are keeping it,
hence the pools live can be sustained for an extra 10%; With all other factors
constant this would be approximately four years.

PS: Some factors may not remain constant in my assumptions,
but i believe the leverage from  usage
based projections should even things.

Douglas onyango +256(0712)981329

If you are not part of the solution, your are part of the Problem.