[AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC Policy Proposal Summary

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Wed Apr 15 12:50:58 UTC 2009

Dear Members,

Below please find a summary of the policy proposals currently under
discussion in the AfriNIC region. Please note that these policies shall be
discussed at the forthcoming face to face public meeting during the AfriNIC
10 meetings. Members are therefore encouraged to continue discussions on the
policy proposals between now and then.

The AfriNIC Policy Development Process can be found at:
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-pdp200707.htm

AfriNIC Mailing Lists subscription information can be found at:

Kind Regards,

Vincent Ngundi
Chair, AfriNIC PDP-MG

####### Policy Proposal Summary #############

Policy proposal : IPv4 Soft Landing Policy
Proposal Date : 05 Jan 2009
Scope : Regional proposal
afpol-v4200901 < http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-v4200901.htm>

the last /8 addresses that will be assigned to it by the IANA under the
"Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address space".
<http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-v4gp200802.html>

There were several comments regarding this policy from AfriNIC community;
such as  the comment on the idea of refraining from making v6 allocations
mandatory as shown in the policy, They argue that an RIR is not supposed to
dictate on the technology that the LIR's use.

Another comments favor the return of the /16 into the v4 pool when the v4
pool reached exhaustion, and suggest making allocations for Critical
infrastructure from the /16 that will be in reserve, on contrary, other
comments saying we should leave this reserved even when the pool reaches
exhaustion as the motive for reserving it was for unforeseen circumstances,
and think if we make allocations to Critical infrastructure from the /16 in
reserve we shall be eating our cake and expecting to have it.

Comments seconded the idea of all address allocations being used only within
the AfriNIC region arguing that all resources allocated should be used
within Africa to support local operations. and other comments favored a 90%
threshold of usage before additional allocation can be made to any LIR.

It's a very important policy proposal in case of ratification by community,
it'll re-shape the way of allocating IPv4 address to all LIRs in the region.
It is the time to discuss it more and we'd like to encourage the community
to put their inputs in order to get all proper required modifications for
the proposal (if any) before the coming AfriNIC-10 face to face meeting next
May in Cairo.

##############################

Policy proposal : IPv6 Allocations to Non-Profit Networks
Proposal Date : 13 Jan 2009
Scope : Regional proposal
afpol-v6200901 <http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-v6200901.htm>

obtain a /48 PI IPv6 addressing resources from AfriNIC and drive the
deployment of and demand for IPv6 services through this in Africa.

Additionally the policy seeks to limit the way in which these addressing
resources for non-profit entities will be used to avoid abuse by LIRs,
Internet Service Providers and other commercial users of Internet addressing
resources.

we need to hear the comments from community on this proposal "IPv6
Allocations to Non-Profit Networks". This proposal makes a massive
controversial discussion in our mailing-list and in other regions too, we
heard 12 emails from community till now that comment on this policy
proposal, some for positive and other for negative reactions. It is the time
to discuss it more and we'd like to encourage the community to put their
inputs in order to get all proper required modifications for the proposal
(if any) before the coming AfriNIC-10 face to face meeting next May in
Cairo.

##############################

Policy Proposal : Global Policy Proposal for the Allocation of IPv4 Blocks
to Regional Internet Registries
Proposal Date : 09 Mar 2009
Scope : Global proposal
afpol-v4gb200903 <http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-v4gb200903.htm>

address space between RIRs, that may be exist at the depletion of IANA free
pool. The authors of this policy proposal provide a mechanism for the RIRs
to put the recovered IPv4 address space back to the IANA central pool, and
also provide the IANA with the policy by which it can allocate them back to
the RIR in a well defined criteria.

This proposal is submitted to the five existing RIRs, and has been adopted
in APNIC region.

we need to hear the comments from community on this proposal "Global Policy
Proposal for the Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries".
We heard only one comment! We think it's the time to discuss it more and
we'd like to encourage the community to put their inputs in order to get all
proper required modifications for the proposal (if any) before the coming
AfriNIC-10 face-to-face meeting next May in Cairo.

####### /Policy Proposal Summary #############