[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 adoption

Rob Hunter Rob.Hunter at neotel.co.za
Fri Mar 28 11:10:57 UTC 2008

Hi

<snip>
Thinking loudly today Africa has four submarine projects being planned
by a
number of entities.  Would it be worth proposing that these all be v6
platforms.  Nepad (god help us) is proposing UHRUNET which not only will
be
submarine but also heavily Terrestrial across countries and interlinking
into national backbones would pushing V6 down this avenue help ??
</snip>

These cable projects usually don't involve putting IP, regardless of
version, on top of the transmission they sell. Their customers generally
insist on that.

Having been one of the early(ish) adoptors in ZA, I still see the same
problems today that I saw when I started playing with V6 in 2002, and
that is the lack of content.

Africa as a whole traditionally (IMHO) hasn't always been the greatest
content provider. Maybe the community should be targeting (and
assisting) any large distributors of content we do have? "Help them to
help us"? There's no real reason for them to bother with it at this
stage, it won't have as much operational impact for them as it will for
us (they'll just vote with their wallets if their current RIR runs out
and can't get more anyway).

Regards

--Rob