[AfriNIC-rpd] IPV6 Adoption

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Mar 27 12:22:38 UTC 2008

Alan Levin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 27 Mar 2008, at 11:41 AM, Colin Alston wrote:
>> I think we're doing or have done what we should be doing. That is to
>> support the right policies to get us closer to adoption, and to
>> pressurise incumbent ISPs into seeing the business case for v6.
>
> The main problem in SA is - as Colin pointed out - the first tier
> primary networks (ie IS/Telkom/Verizon/etc) do not really care about
> this yet. I know because I've been asking our account manager - and
> others - for v6 for more than 4 years.  Without success.
>
> I am not convinced that more marketing, training encouragement is
> going to work as well as personalization.
>
> Does anyone still believe is face to face? Will it help if Adiel had a
> private meeting with the Executive Directors / CEOs at Verizon/Telkom/IS?
>
> regards
>
> Alan

I think in fairness, SAIX wants to give IPv6 on its ADSL network - but
has billing issues - they can't yet properly measure traffic
distinctions between Local and International sites. Victor Wilson was
tasked with the problem.

SAIX also has a problem getting IPv6 to their edge routers - the Cisco
10K routers can either run IPv6 or some other protocol - and they need
that "other protocol" more than IPv6.

Verison do provide IPv6 - or have done to some customers.

IS have been the quiet ones.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE