[AfriNIC-rpd] Global_Policy_IPv4_proposal

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Mon Sep 17 15:28:28 UTC 2007

Hello Haitham,

Hytham EL Nakhal said the following on 18/9/07 00:47:

> First, It's a global policy not a regional policy, So I don't think
> it'll be wise if we state in the policy what should be done by RIRs
> regarding the last allocation of /8 blocks .

Right, you don't need to clutter up the global policy proposal with what
would happen within AfriNIC region. But what I think would be useful is
an accompanying proposal applicable for the AfriNIC region as to what
the /8 would be used for.

Putting the two side beside then people will see that the global policy
would make sense as the AfriNIC region has thought about what they'd do
with their /8. Same applies to APNIC, etc, etc.

> What I mean is to take it step by step, i.e. first get consensus on
> equal distribution of the last /8 blocks; then each RIR could
> plan/develop policies for the use of these /8.

What's the incentive to make the second step happen once the first step
has been taken? I think that if each RIR region develops good
justification for the final /8, then it makes the soft-landing policy
more likely to happen. So let's swap the sequence around.

> As mentioned before in
> our discussions in APNIC mailing list they could use it for example (not
> limited to) New comers, National projects, supporting existing LIRs for
> deploying Dual stack, critical operation (not to discuss what's meant by
> critical operation now, as we have agreed on), allow for a grace time
> for all existing LIRs for soft-landing of IPv4 in their networks.

Absolutely agreed! But it's only been our conversation so far, and
indeed conversations that some of us have had with JPNIC wrt their
proposal. "We" need to take the next step and encapsulate this in a
document, another proposal, which can sit alongside the existing global
policy proposal. The two go hand in hand.

> And as you have seen in APNIC meeting there are a lot of concern was
> expressed about what would happen to that final /8 blocks that APNIC
> would get ?.... so let's take it step by step.

Yup.

> Sorry it's not a "land grab". We all in the same boat, what will
> happened ,for example, if ARIN coming the next in queue after AfriNIC
> requesting for /8 blocks from IANA whereas IANA has only the last /8
> blocks enough for AfriNIC request ? I think it's better for all to know
> in advance their last allocation..

I think we all know this is a soft-landing proposal. But the folks who
pointed out the different consumption rates of each RIR region make this
point time and again, and it seems a hard one to argue against.

I'm not volunteering, but maybe a useful thing for someone to do is
actually write down what the last /8 would be used for? As a policy
proposal. Because all there is at the moment is the existing allocation
and assignment policies of each RIR, and it seems to me that the bulk of
the effort needed would be defining what we do with the last /8 - if we
can agree that then surely actually getting the last /8 would be
relatively simple.

(One analogy I could use is this: sponsorship. Operator groups ask
companies to sponsor their event. Give us US$5k they say. Companies
reply asking what they'd get for their sponsorship. The event does not
respond "give us the money, we'll work out what you get later". They
indicate at the outset what the company will get for their sponsorship.
We need to behave the same way for the last /8, I feel.)

philip