??: [AfriNIC-rpd] Summary of

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Mon Sep 17 13:20:10 UTC 2007

Hi Philip,

On Sep 17, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Philip Smith wrote:

> Alain Patrick AINA said the following on 17/9/07 19:52:
>>> I do not understand the reference to the Moderator Group. The Policy
>>> Development Process document on the AfriNIC web site (http://
>>> www.afrinic.net/pdp.htm) doesn't seem to have any mention of
>>> moderation. Can you please clarify for me?
>>
>> he was talking about the new PDP under discussion
>>
>> http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-pdp200707.htm
>
> Ah so this is like the APNIC Policy SIG Chairs or the RIPE Address
> Policy WG Chairs?

Yes, it's _similar to SIG co-chairs only that we don't have any SIG's
for now. But the primary role of MG co-chairs is mainly to moderate/
co-ordinate the PDP and assist members in draftiing policies.

> But I don't think they'd be moderating postings to the mailing list,
> right? Well, apart from the usual spam and behavioural aspects at
> least. ;-)

Postings to the RPD mailing list _should not and _will not be
filtered or moderated, other than the usual spam as you say.

Moderation in this case is different. It entails ensuring that the
PDP is followed and that input from the community is collated and
presented, probably in the form of a summary report, to the community
during the PDP.

> I think only allowing the PDP Moderator Group to post to the list
> would
> be a seriously retrograde step in what is meant to be an open and
> inclusive process.

I agree.

Regards,

-Vincent