Re: رد: [AfriNIC-rpd] Summary of Policy Discussions

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Mon Sep 17 12:22:20 UTC 2007

Hi Haitham et al,

On Sep 16, 2007, at 1:47 AM, Hytham EL Nakhal wrote:

> Regarding the "Policy Development Process" proposal by Vincent
> Ngundi, I've three minor comments on it :
> First, in point (3) :
>
> 3. The proposed policy is then posted on the mailing list
> rpd at afrinic.net or any other appropriate mailing list. The mailing
> list is open to
>
> anyone from the community at all times, and anyone can join the
> list for discussion
>
> I suggest the posting to the mailing list to be done by the
> Moderator Group (MG)
The purpose of the moderator group (MG) is to provide assistance to
policy proposers who don't have experience in drafting policies. We
need to allow those who can draft their own proposers to be able to
post to the list directly.

> Second, in point (7):
>
> If there is consensus during the Last-Call, go to step 7 below.
>
> I think you mean step 8 below.

This has been corrected on the most recent draft. An up-to-date draft
should be uploaded on the site ASAP. I have also posted a copy inline
(below).

> Third, in point (8):
>
> - Short summary of the Last-Call period.
>
> I suggest to be: - Short summary of the Last-Call period discussion.

Noted.

Regards,

-Vincent

##########<PDP>###########

Name			:	Vincent Ngundi
Organisation		:	Kenya Network Information Center - KeNIC
Policy Affected	:	Policy Development Process
Date			:      	3rd July 2007
Proposal		:	Policy Development Process
Policy Term		:	Permanent

Incentive: The initial policy development process used by AfriNIC was
meant to be a transitional process. Now that AfriNIC has been well
established, it is being proposed to revise the policy development
process to increase participation from the community in the process.

Proposed Policy
The proposed policy development process (PDP) is described below:

1. A PDP Moderator Group (MG) will be set-up to moderate and
coordinate the policy development process and discussions. It will
consist of two members of the community. One AfriNIC staff will also
be providing support to the MG.

Note: The two(2) Moderator Group (MG) members will be nominated by
the community during a face-to-face (f2f) open public policy meeting
for a defined period.

The two (2) MG members shall be nominated for a 3-year term. The
first for 2 years and the
second for 3 years.  AfriNIC will nominate one of it's staff members
to the MG.

2. Policies can be proposed in two ways:
  (a) Directly to the list by the author
  (b) Through the Moderator Group (MG) which would assist a member of
the community in drafting the text for the proposed policy.

Note: Policies can be proposed by anyone from the community.

3. The proposed policy is then posted on the mailing list
rpd at afrinic.net or any other appropriate mailing list. The mailing
list is open to anyone from the community at all times, and anyone
can join the list for discussion

4. The policy is discussed on the mailing list and amended
accordingly following the discussions.

5. After at least 30 days of discussion and comments on the mailing
list, the policy is brought to the public open policy (face-to-face)
meeting for a final round of discussions before the community
endorses or rejects the policy through consensus.

Note: Consensus is defined as general agreement of the group and is
not measured by a majority. It will be the onus of the MG co-chairs
to determine whether there is consensus or not.

6. If there is consensus at the open policy meeting, go to step 7
below. If there is not consensus, step 4 will be repeated.

7. A 15-day last call for comments on the policy will be announced on
the policy mailing list. During this 15-day period, comments agreed
upon during the open public policy meeting will be incorporated into
the policy.

8. After the 15 days, the Moderator Group will send a report to the
AfriNIC Board of Trustees (BoT) which should contain the following as
minimum information
  - The date of the proposal
  - Short summary of the online discussions
  - Short summary of the face to face (f2f) discussions
  - Short summary of the Last-Call period
  - A recommendation of the PDP Moderator Group (MG) to the Board.

Note: The policy should be ratified by the BoT at the subsequent
Board Meeting which should be held no later than 30 days after the
last-call ends and implemented within 60 days after the BoTs'
ratification.

Effect on AfriNIC

This policy will affect the current Policy Development Policy.