??: [AfriNIC-rpd] Summary of Policy Discussions

Hytham EL Nakhal hytham at mcit.gov.eg
Mon Sep 17 10:41:01 UTC 2007

Dear Leo,

I'm refer to the proposal submitted by Vincent  http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-pdp200707.htm

,you can find it hereunder, and the MG word marked in red..

Version:
Draft
Open for Discussion

Authors
Vincent Ngundi

________________________________

Name             : Vincent Ngundi

Organisation   : Kenya Network Information Center - KeNIC

Policy Affected : Policy Development Process

Date              : 03 July 2007

Proposal        : Policy Development Process v

Policy Term    : Permanent

Incentive: The initial policy development process used by AfriNIC was meant to be a transitional process. Now that AfriNIC has been well established, it is being proposed to revise the policy development process to increase participation from the community in the process.

Proposed Policy

The proposed policy development process (PDP) is described below:

1. A PDP Moderator Group (MG) will be set-up to moderate and coordinate the policy development process and discussions. It will consist of two members of the community. One AfriNIC staff will also be providing support to the MG.

Note: The two(2) Moderator Group (MG) members will be nominated by the community during a face-to-face (f2f) open public policy meeting for a defined period. AfriNIC will nominate one of it's staff members to the Moderator Group (MG).

2. Policies can be proposed in two ways:

(a) Directly by the author

(b) Through the Moderator Group (MG) which would assist a member of the community in drafting the text for the proposed policy.

Note: Policies can be proposed by anyone from the community.

4. The policy is discussed on the mailing list and amended accordingly following the discussions.

5. After at least 30 days of discussion and comments on the mailing list, the policy is brought to the public open policy (face-to-face) meeting for a final round of discussions before the community endorses or rejects the policy through consensus.

Note: Consensus is defined as general agreement of the group and is not measured by a majority. It will be the onus of the MG chair to determine whether there is consensus or not.

6. If there is consensus at the open policy meeting, go to step 7 below. If there is not consensus, step 4 will be repeated until consensus is reached or the policy proposal is abandoned (or withdrawn)

7. A last call for comments on the policy will be announced on the policy mailing list. A period of 15 days will be given for the community to suggest any final changes and amendments. If there is consensus during the Last-Call, go to step 7 below. If there is not consensus, step 4 will be repeated until consensus is reached or the policy proposal is abandoned (or withdrawn)

8. If there is consensus after the 15 days, the Moderator Group will send a report to the AfriNIC Board of Trustees (BoT) which should contain the following as minimum information

- The date of the proposal

- Short summary of the online discussions

- Short summary of the face to face (f2f) discussions

- Short summary of the Last-Call period

- A recommendation of the RPD Moderator Group (MG) to the Board.

Note: The policy should be ratified by the BoT at the subsequent Board Meeting.

Effect on AfriNIC

This policy will affect the current Policy Development Policy.