[AfriNIC-rpd] end-site assignment policy

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Mon Sep 10 20:43:41 UTC 2007

>> (e) Colins is right, the IPv6 PA Allocation policy doesn't address
>> the
>> issue of "not-complying-with-the-policy". So in such a scenario,
>> AfriNIC has no mandate to reclaim the used space and as you put it,
>> "the Allocation(s) are auto-magically renewed". This would be a good
>> time for the community to revise this policy. Sad that any changes
>> may
>> only be effected sometime in May next year :-(.
>>
>> The " Policy for IPv6 PI Assignment for End-Sites " reads in part:
>>
>> "... The 'end-site' must show a plan to use and announce the IPv6
>> provider independent address space within twelve (12) months. After
>> that period, if not announced, the assigned IPv6 PI address space
>> should be reclaimed and returned to the free pool by AfriNIC.... "
> Currently - if AfriNIC was to reclaim the /32, as there is
> currently no
> fee involved - it can immediately be re-issued again. No financial
> penalties. Maybe thats not right?
>
> I'd love all sorts of schemes to get people to...
>  (i) get themselves address space
>  (ii) announce the space
>  (ii) deploy services that use the space
>
> I don't think "Name and Shame" is the right way to get people to do
> this
> though.
>
> I'd also like to see something that encourages people to make sure
> that
> /48 PI address space is routable :-)

This may call for a change in routing policy. That's why it's
important for all to participate during the PDP. The policy (PI IPv6
for end-sites) allows for the assignment of /48 blocks, whether or
not operators are ready to adjust their filters to accommodate this
is the big question.

Regards,

-Vincent

believed to be clean.