[AfriNIC-rpd] What is our take on the central pool IPv4 exhaustion?

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Aug 13 05:33:13 UTC 2007

      On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Colin Alston wrote:
    > It seems I didn't grasp Bill's point clearly, the key word
    > being "complete"[IPv6 transition].

I think we're in violent agreement.  :-)

The point basically being that regardless of how quickly one completes
one's own transition to IPv6, there will be a lot of people still using
IPv4 out there for a long time, and as such, you and your customers will
continue to need to be dual-stacked for a long time, and as long as your
customers need to be dual-stacked, you'll need to be able to give them
at least a few IPv4 addresses as well as the IPv6 addresses which we hope
they'll be primarily using.

                                -Bill