[AfriNIC-rpd] What is our take on the central pool IPv4 exhaustion?

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Sat Aug 11 11:32:25 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

Since few months now we have seen several analysis and papers
about the IPv4 exhaustion. For everybody it sound clear that
the exhaustion of the central pool will happen and that the long
term solution is IPv6. And we are trying to do our best to raise
awareness and support the community in that regards.

But in the mean time we need to handle the remaining resource
toward complete exhaustion of the central pool. In that regard
several policy proposals have been seen in different regions (some
as candidate for global  policy). Here bellow are some of them:

Global policy proposal also sent to this list:
Title: Global policy for allocation of the remaining IPv4 address
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-v4gp200707.htm
[This policy suggest an equal distribution of the last 25
remaining /8 among the 5 RIRs]
 >>> Note: We haven't seen any comment here yet <<<

Global Policy proposal not yet sent here:
Title: IPv4 Countdown Policy
http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-046-v002.html
[This policy make the number of /8 to be equally distributed
to 1 and put emphasis on LIR information and definition of local
policy in each region for post-exhaustion management of their
remaining IPv4 pool]

Local policy in ARIN region
Title: IPv4 Soft Landing proposal
http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/ppml/2007-May/006895.html
[30 days after specified thresholds in the amount of address space
remaining in the IANA IPv4 free pool are crossed, the requirements
necessary for ISPs to obtain additional IPv4 address space are made
more stringent and requesters must demonstrate efforts both to
utilize scarce IPv4 address space more efficiently, set up IPv6
infrastructure services, and eventually offer production IPv6
connectivity.]

I will like to draw our attention to the fact that the issue
touches us in different way and our bottom up resource policy
approach give us the right and the opportunity to express
ourselves on the topic and propose policy that will be suitable
in our region.

We would like to hear from you on this.

- a.