[IOZ] [AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Fwd: AfriNIC position on the future of IP number resources

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Wed Aug 8 09:35:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 08 Aug 2007, at 10:46 AM, Adiel A. Akplogan wrote:
> I have few questions for the this kind of network operators:

Thanks, this definitely helps.

> 1) do they meet the criteria for IPv6 PI assignment from AfriNIC?

I envisaged that they will need to in order to obtain this on a
sponsored basis. Ours (http://ctwug.za.net) does.
Although the one criteria would need to be included in the
sponsorship , i.e. "* The end-site must become an AfriNIC End User
Member and pay the normal AfriNIC fee for its' membership category".
I imagine that for many community networks in Africa a $500 annual
membership fee is a show stopper.

> 2) has any of community network Operators being denied IPv6 or IPv4
>    public IP address assignment from their upstream provider to
> properly
>    number their network?

I believe that community networks often use many gateways and
upstreams. It wouldn't make sense to use an assignment from one.

This is an important question, together with the previous one, I
request to update my proposal request to add a few other requirements:

"I submit a request for the board to consider my proposal for special
pricing of IPv6 PI allocations - packaged with a membership waiver
and ASN - for community networks."

> 3) How many hosts does the WUG network run?

The CTWUG has a few hundred but its expected to soon be many
thousands at current growth pattern. It meets the criteria for both
IPv6 PI and ASN assignments (other than the membership criteria).
There are a manageable number of community networks around Africa
like this, and all could make valid use of such a service.  The guys
in Scarborough are also ready and waiting for such an offering (David
Carman http://www.prospect.ac.za/wifi/).

Please note that these are 'free' networks. Anyone with a wireless
router can connect at no cost. In Scarborough transit is also
provided for free (with a call for voluntary contributions of R100=$12).

Sincerely,

Alan

>> I submit a request for the board to consider my proposal for special
>> pricing of IPv6 PI allocations for community networks. For example
>> the WUGs (http://www.wug.za.net/) operate entirely on voluntary
>> contributions, and they are very useful breeding grounds for
>> networking skills. It would be wonderful if AfriNIC could do a
>> special offer for this small group of expert users so as to enable
>> them to properly number their networks without NATted, NATted, NATs
>> (in some cases only NATted NATs).  These networks are not members of
>> AfriNIC and without a special offer they will most probably not be
>> able to become members, so this will not erode any income. I propose
>> that AfriNIC do this as a sponsored service for all African community
>> networks and consider it as a marketing and skills development cost,
>> it will certainly cost no more than a single training workshop in one
>> country. Alternatively, I am certain that AfriNIC can leverage its
>> resources to obtain sponsorships for these networks.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Alan

>> --
>> Alan Levin