[AfriNIC-rpd] Call for Comments for IPv6 HD Ratio Change

Duncan Martin ceo at tenet.ac.za
Wed May 23 09:43:58 UTC 2007

I do not believe that NRENs are necessarily special as regards the
desire of a LIR to plan its pattern of assignments to promote
aggregation within the LIR's network.  In my previous posting I
described TENET's policy of reserving /44s per university/research
campus so as to provide for future contiguous assignments to each
assignee. This follows a recommendation at the Barcelona IPv6 Summit. In
his posting, Mark Elkins of Posix Systems described his assignment
planning which provides for geographically oriented aggregation within
his network.

The point is that setting the HD threshold for LIRs at 0.94 will
eventually force LIRs to abandon all but the vaguest of assignment plans
long before they meet the threshold criterion for a further allocation.

Has anyone made the case yet as to why the scarcity of IPv6 addresses
forces the RIRs to impose such a high HD ratio threshold on their LIRs?

Duncan Martin