[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv4 BoF report

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri May 18 21:08:16 UTC 2007

I was probably the one that in the BoF introduced about the second market
and the RIRs needing to participate.

I explained that I'd delivered a proposal to the 5 RIRs CEOs about a couple
of months ago. The basic idea behind the proposal is that if the RIRs do
some work NOW regarding the second market, instead of letting it happen
without any stewardship, it will become against the RIRs model. Instead, if
the RIRs try to seeks what are the best alternatives for that secondary
market and somehow endorse it from the community itself, then it will be in
our side not against us. It is not clear how we do that, and that's why I
need some further study of many possible choices and combinations of them is
required.

For example, I also mention that one of the possible ways to control this
market is the resource certification. But the community need to agree to
make usage of that and avoid non-certified resources to be in our routers
(for example), so people not following the community model will be able to
get addresses on the secondary market, but they may be filtered in
hopefully, a big part of Internet.

Regards,
Jordi