[AfriNIC-rpd] About the policy BOF

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri May 4 17:10:13 UTC 2007

Hi Alain,

I think you're missing a very important point.

The consensus not only depends on the list. It may happen that you don't
find consensus in the list because a few objections, but later on, the
presentation in a face to face meetings achieve that consensus. Of course,
it may be also in the other way around.

That's why there is also a last call period in the list, as already was
indicated to you yesterday in the meeting.

Measuring the consensus is already a very difficult task (a bit subjective
and in that sense dangerous in my opinion), but in addition to that, part of
the problem here is that there is not a set of "co-chairs" or something
equivalent that can as much objectively as possible, determine the consensus
in this region.

When there is a very clear and overloading "majority" of people in favor of
against a proposal, even if consensus doesn't mean exactly majority, it
becomes easy to do this task and anyone in the room can just count the
"general proportion" of people in favor or against. But this is not going to
be the same way in all our policy proposals, and that's why I'm calling for
a system similar to the one existing in the rest of the regions.

Regards,
Jordi