[AfriNIC-rpd] New policy proposal: IPv6 ULA-central

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Apr 4 13:10:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> I understand your point, but in my opinion, policies should not
> enter into details of how they become actually implemented from an
> operational perspective.

I agree that details should be left to the RIR staff, but perhaps we
disagree about where broad outlines end and details start.

I'd like the proposal to at least acknowledge that coordination with
other organisations will be necessary.  I also wonder what happens if
the RIRs all get together and create a registry, but the IETF and/or
IANA decides to contract the function out to some other party.  I also
wonder what happens if multiple independent organisations all decide
"let's start a ULA registry" but don't know about each other and don't
talk to each other.

> One more possibility could be to breakdown the ULA-central prefix in
> several smaller chunks to be allocated by IANA to each RIR.

That goeas against the original idea that ULAs would not have any kind
of geographical or topological significance.

--apb (Alan Barrett)