[AfriNIC-rpd] New policy proposal: IPv6 ULA-central

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Apr 4 08:29:57 UTC 2007

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>   Policy Proposal Name:   IPv6 ULA-central
>   Author:     Jordi Palet Martinez, Consulintel
>   Proposal Version:   1.0
>   Submission Date:   1st April 2007

The whole point of centrally-assigned unique local addresses is to
get addresses that are guaranteed to be globally unique (as opposed
to locally-assigned unique local addresses, which are generated in a
way that is likely to be unique, but not guaranteed to be unique).
The expired draft draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-01.txt (available from
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-01>) talks about
an escrow function to ensure uniqueness.

It seems to me that a "central" ULA registry operated by AfriNIC
(presumably in parallel with other similar registries operated by
other RIRs) would not satisfy the requirement for guaranteed global
uniqueness.  There would be a possibility of collisions in the
assignments made by different registries, unless there was a way of
performing some kind of cross-registry uniqueness check.  I think that
a realistic proposal to establish a central ULA registry should address
the mechanism for performing the uniqueness checks.  The proposal on the
table does not do so.

I'd also like to see some consideration of mechanisms to prevent
hoarding of addresses.

--apb (Alan Barrett)