[AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6 ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Fri Mar 23 05:48:08 UTC 2007

McTim wrote:
>> I believe that some organisations truly need PI IPv6 address space.
>
> I believe that some organisations truly need IPv6 address space.
> I think they should use PA space.  Ppl multihome with PA space in v4
> world, and they can with v6.

ccTLD registrars are one example of people who *do* need their own IP
space. They cannot rely on PA space because in the case of our co.za
they don't peer with a provider in all cases, they connect to an IXP
and need to be self sustaining.
For other organizations which are large, and tedious renumber, the
non-offering of PI space seems simply like a reason to force these
people to have to do business with a single ISP or face losing their
IP addresses.

We do need PI space.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>                ______
Software Developer, Linux & Internet Services  /\_\_\_\