[AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6 ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Alain Patrick AINA aalain at trstech.net
Fri Mar 23 00:59:59 UTC 2007

> > I believe that some organisations truly need PI IPv6 address space.
>
> I believe that some organisations truly need IPv6 address space.
> I think they should use PA space.

Incentive       :       The current policy does not allow IPv6 provider
independent (PI) address assignment to any 'end-sites'. In addition,
lack of IPv6 transport will compel many 'end-sites' to tunnel. Thus,
to avoid renumbering when IPv6 transport will be available, a
provider independent assignment seems reasonable. More so, not all
LIR's have IPv6 address space allocations. This makes it impossible
for end-users to get PA IPv6 address space from such upstreams
(LIR's). This policy is also aimed at providing IPv6 address space to
such end-users as long as they already have or qualify to get PI IPv4
addresses.

> Ppl multihome with PA space in v4
> world, and they can with v6.

Some do,  but it  also creates deaggregation.

--alain