[AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6 ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Thu Mar 22 14:04:40 UTC 2007

Alain Patrick AINA wrote:
> What is putting  some folks in "panic mode"  are the projections and the
> perspectives on PI policies

We must accept the fact that the global routing tables, with IPv6
fully deployed, will be a great deal bigger than the IPv4 tables.

We must therefore put faith in the fact that the cost associated with
storing and transiting these routes will reduce in future, as they
have with the growth of the IPv4 space as well.

Costing people out of the ability to obtain PI space is a poor idea.
Many of our ZA ISP's already run on quite small budgets due to the
monopoly climate. Many of the valid requesters may also be NPO's. I
don't think the assignment policy should be based on who requests it,
but rather on what it will be used for. How this objective is obtained
in words, I don't know - I've never been good with words.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>                ______
Software Developer, Linux & Internet Services  /\_\_\_\