[AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6 ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Mar 22 13:58:51 UTC 2007

McTim - what then are you suggesting? .. to never have PI IPv6 in the
AfriNIC region?

I believe that some organisations truly need PI IPv6 address space.
I don't think its down to us to discuss pricing - but I'd have to agree
with you - if the price was high enough
only those that really need would apply - as long as its world
route-able (thus filling up routing tables around the world).

>From a "Routing Table" point of view - this is one reason why I liked
the idea of providing back-to-back /48 allocations for the likes of
IXP's - addresses that would not need to be routed around the world...
separate from organisations that really do need world route-able addresses.

The folk at AfriNIC can allocate addresses from appropriate blocks
according to the needs of the clients - they could even have a two tier
price - low price for world-non-routable, high price for world-routable.

In the mean time....
a) We still need a PI IPv6 policy though.
b) The "routing table" problem will be solved - the AfriNIC negative
(as in growth of the table size) contribution will be negligible.

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> Nobody is asking to be in panic mode, just to fulfill the AfriNIC and the
> community rules and having a balance in what is really needed and what is
> conservation.
>
> Making possible for all end-users to apply for this policy may become a big
> waste and not only about addresses and routing slots, but also a problem for
> AfriNIC to handle contracts, fees and membership of end-users (as
> individuals) and many additional implications.
>
> Regards,
> Jordi
>

>> De: Alain Patrick AINA <aalain at trstech.net>
>> Organización: technologies réseaux et Solutions (www.trstech.net)
>> Responder a: <aalain at trstech.net>, AfriNIC Resource Policy Discussion List
>> <rpd at afrinic.net>
>> Fecha: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:12:03 +0000
>> Para: AfriNIC Resource Policy Discussion List <rpd at afrinic.net>
>> Asunto: Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6 ProviderIndependent
>> (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

>>> We are solving a problem for a small number of folk, but creating
>>> future problems for all.  We can obviate future woes by setting
>>> appropriate fees for v6 PI.
>>>
>>> I recommend this: http://www.vaf.net/~vaf/rrg.pdf  for folk who are
>>> interested in routing scaling issues.
>>>
>> Yes. Routing and addressing scalability is an issue and we have to look at it,
>> but not in panic mode.
>>
>> IETF-68's yesterday plenary has an interesting discussion on it .
>>
>> See the routing and addressing problem status report  at :
>> http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/plenaryw-3.pdf
>>

>> --alain

> The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org
>
> Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
> http://www.ipv6day.org
>
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE
/ |/ |ARK \_/ /__ LKINS  Tel: +27 12 807 0590  Cell: +27 82 601 0496