[policy-wg] Policy proposal: IPv4 allocation to End Users

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Apr 25 23:50:32 UTC 2005

      On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Gregory Massel wrote:
    > /24 ?
    > This seems to be a bit out of line with the other RIRs and given the
    > current exponential growth of the global routing table, may need
    > reconsideration.

This is an issue we've been discussing a bit within ARIN recently, with
regard to IPv6, but it's the same issue at heart...

There are a bunch of independently-routable /24s out there, and they were
allocated or assigned early on, as "Class C" "swamp" addresses.  I mean,
they were called "Class C" at the time, and we later designated the
portion of the IP spectrum which they came out of as "the swamp" because
it was made up of lots of little blocks.

Now, there's something of an inequity in that those /24s are typically
held by people who arrived early, who weren't in Africa by and large, or
those who have enough connections or money to make a transaction to get
one from someone who got one that way.  Again, probably not someone in
Africa.

So on the one hand, we have a "do as I say, not as I do" inequity being
handed from the early-arriving North American and European operators to
the later-arriving African and Latin American operators.  On the other
hand, we do have a very real need to conserve memory and CPU in routers,
and that need is in fact greater in areas like Africa and Latin America,
where operators can't afford to upgrade equipment as frequently or spend
as much when they to, to accommodate routing table growth.

The approach we've been talking about in ARIN is to find a reasonable
"cap" number.  That is, to begin with a liberal policy (like /24 minimum
allocation) but only up to a certain number of allocations (like 250 or
500 of them) which is not enough, even if replicated in other regions, to
cause routers to fall over in great numbers.  This would have the effect
of creating another, African-specific, "swamp" of /24s.  They would be
filtered out of the routing table by some people, which would make them
less valuable than larger allocations, but they might meet some people's
needs, and they wouldn't become a big problem.  Moreover, by being liberal
up-front, you might find that you address a strong need of a small number
of organizations, without creating any difficulty for anyone else.  For
instance, you might allocate a block of 512 /24s, and get a "run" on them
initially, allocating 100 in the first few months, and then five years
later, you might find that you'd only allocated another 100...  No
problem, it takes care of those who need it, without creating any big
issue for anyone else.

One approach to think about.

                                -Bill