[Icann-aswg] Re: Updates on the Africa strategy

Katim S. Touray kstouray at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 00:07:26 SAST 2013

Dear Pierre,

Thanks for your e-mail!  It's great to see ICANN finally start turning
words into action!

I have two suggestions for now.  I suggest you, as soon as possible, sort
out the matter of the Web site (www.africanncommunity.org) you mentioned in
your e-mail.  The address resolves to the AfriNIC site, and I suggest this
be changed.  I would infact go further, and have the Web site hosted on the
ICANN Web site as a third-level domain (e.g. Africann.icann.org, à la
gacweb.icann.org) to better present it as an ICANN endeavor. It would also
be a good idea to have the mailing list set up on the ICANN server.

I also suggest that you consider partnering with the International Chamber
of Commerce (ICC), and African chambers of commerce to implement the idea
to have an incubator to encourage young entrepreneurs to enter the DNS
industry.  ICC is already active in ICANN, and I think a partnership with
them would be a natural.  I also suggest you issue a call for expressions
of interest from various countries and communities interested in
participating in the incubator program.  This way, you can evaluate
potential countries willing to participate on the basis of how much (effort
and resources) they are willing to commit to the program.  This approach,
in my mind, would be the best way to build a strong partnership program
that has real ownership in African.

That's about all that comes to my mind now.  Congratulations on the launch
of this important initiative, and do count on my full support for its
implementation.

Katim