[Icann-aswg] Africa strategy

Nii Quaynor nquaynor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 19:55:05 SAST 2012

Hi Steve,

I hope this email finds you well. You would recall you initiated the strategy discussion at lunch with me in Geneva (at IGF MAG meeting) and subsequently called for it during the ICANN and African community meeting in Prague

We have so far obtained general agreement on a terms of reference with ICANN on a conference call today and have signed up to a rough program/timelines ICANN adapted. I think knowing how this effort was seeded by you I need to share the terms we proposed with you. We also agreed that in addition to the regional representation stated in the terms we should also seek involvement of constituencies in ICANN in the outreach. So, we are already gathering community inputs with questionnaires and are moving on to the next step which is retreat next month hosted by AfriNIC in Mauritius

I am aware and you were also copied, of a complaint from a particular individual calling that the effort is stopped. This individual is a known DCA activist that only a few agree with. DCA applied for a gTLD and fears they have problems with their application. Nonetheless we intend to proceed with the work while reaching out appropriately to the larger African community to enrich the strategy

Best
Nii