[IANAOversight] echo from other RIRs

Richard Hill rhill at hill-a.ch
Thu Oct 16 22:58:27 UTC 2014

As far as I can tell, ICANN properly speaking does the following things with
respect to IP addresses:

1. Approves the creation of new RIRs
2. Ratifies the policies approved by the RIRs

And, through the IANA function, it does the following:

3. Allocates top-level IP address blocks to the RIRs
4. Publishes those allocations on its web site

One could envisage transferring all those functions to the NRO, which would
in effect mean that the RIRs would be supervising those functions.  Since
the RIRs are responsible to their members, that would mean that the members
of the RIRs would be supervising those functions.

Best,
Richard

http://blog.apnic.net/2014/10/14/iana-stewardship-transition-discussion-at-a
rin-34/