[DBWG] person without email... and domain object size

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 10:56:27 UTC 2024

{i see that i missed older emails of the thread :'-(}
Dear DBWG,
Thanks to find few comments below, inline, please.

Le jeudi 13 juin 2024, Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I've seen another few domain objects for /64's created :-(

Hi Frank,
Again, thanks for notifying us, brother!

What AfriNIC could do?
Let's see...if we could figure it out...

> Should we keep allowing this?

...already shared my humble opinion on the way to go.

However, maybe, we should consider following steps:

Step1| agree to task the Staff to align Whois objects' (maybe only those
under the `domain` class) implementation with the constraints stated in the
Policy Manual;
Step2| transition period - organize trainings (as rightly implied in
Willy's email) + deployathons to help concerned resource
holders/maintainers to fix the delegated zone delimitation problem (if i
got it well :-/);
Step3| [optionally] launch, during the transition period, a "DfArZ - DNS
free Auth rZone" service (where all `domain` objects covered/hosted are
appropriately record --automatically-- in the Wois DB and the related
delegated rZone is managed through a Control Panel by subscribed resource
holders are ) as a path to prepare a more interesting side option (as
already evocated by Ben): Delegated Wois server idea of project;
Step4| end of transition period - align all `domain` objects with its IP
delegation (allocation/assignment);
Step5| within the Whois DB, keep only one aligned `domain` object for each
delegated IP block;
Step6| make all of the old unaligned version of the affected (at the step:
aligned) `domain` objects available for queries via a parallele instance of
Whois DB (WhoWhas);
Step7| launch a more modern (like ARIN's OT&E - Operational Test &
Evaluation environments) instance of the Whois DB for test purposes;
Step8| such OT&E environnements could help in quickly implement requested
changes under our consensually adopted WI (Work Items - WI);
Step9| add it as a task for the Whois DBWG to build an active team of
beta-tester volunteers;
Step10| monitor and publish stats on the progresses made through steps
where it makes sense;
Step11| put any missing/forgotten step here or anywhere above and remove
any bad idea included.

[...]
> I propose, if consensus:
> - domain objects with .ip6.arpa can not have more than 12 hexits when
>     created
> - staff to contact owners of the domain objects with more than 12 hexits
>    to create an object covering their allocation/assignment and
>    eventually delete the domain object covering an unnecessarily specific
>    prefix
>    There are 110 if my grep counted correctly.
>    Surely from much fewer organisations.
>

> Regards,
> Frank

...i bring back the initial proposal; in hopes that we
would now all have a better understanding of what
is at stake...

...in order, maybe, to update it? prior to adopt the final draft proposal
of WI?

Thanks!

Shalom,
--sb.