[DBWG] Followup on the DBWG session

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 06:04:10 UTC 2022

Dear DBWG,

Hope this email finds you in good health!

Please see my comments below, inline...

Le vendredi 27 mai 2022, Yogesh Chadee <yogesh at afrinic.net> a écrit :

> Dear DBWG members,

 Hi Yogesh,
Thanks for your email, brother!

> We have had a very fruitful DBWG session on 26 May 2022 and I would like
> to thank all those who attended.

Good!
But i missed it, while waiting in the wrong place :'-(

> As promised, the slide deck for the presentations and the recording of the
> session may be consulted online from this webpage:
>

> https://ais22.sched.com/event/12zVt

Thanks for the URI!

As per the video recording [1], i see that the working
 items are the same old ones...i hope the meeting
 report shall come soon.
__
[1]: <https://youtu.be/PhxvlQuto9A>

While watching the recording...i heard some good
 ideas, which i try to list below, adding few of mine:

Idea#1: Open Collaborative Development of the features of the DB service

i1.1| install a gitlab instance (git|lab•afrinic.net)
i1.2| create a git repository (db•gitlab•afrinic.net) to
collaboratively handle (free/opensource|FLOSS)
the development of features of the DB service (whois/IRR/RPKI/...);
i1.3| start with a collaborative editing of the AfriNIC's Whois DB manual,
still in progress;
i1.4| ...

Idea#2: Document & Automate the Process of Mirroring the AfriNIC's IRR
registry data

i2.1| document the Process;
i2.2| automate the process;
i2.3| publish a call for mirroring;
i2.4| ...

Idea#3: Update the Whois [2] DB core package

i3.1| find the latest update of the core Whois package;
i3.2| upgrade the current version to the latest release;
i3.3| launch the service on the OT&E environment;
i3.4| collect beta testers' observations;
i3.5| adjust and push in production;
i3.6| plan to maintain the curve;
i3.7| ...
__
[2]: <https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/weirds/documents/>

Idea#4: Move forward the current working items

i4.1| clearly formulate the problem statement of each one;
i4.2| provide IAR (Impact Analysis Report) for each one;
i4.3| submit to DBWG, for adoption consideration;
i4.4| for each one approved by the BDWG, propose an implementation plan;
i4.5| do follow-up by regularly organise 30 to 45
mins appointments with volunteers of the DBWG;
i4.6| ...

Idea#5: Create an OT&E (Operational Testing & Evaluation) [3] environment

i5.1| prepare the infrastructure in collaboration with ARIN (OT&E exists
out there);
i5.2| duplicate the actual DB service;
i5.3| finalise the DB Testing environment;
i5.4| document the sercice collaboratively;
i5.5| start the service;
i5.6| activate a vibrant community (beta-tester
volunteers) around the service;
i5.7| ...
__
[3]: <https://www.arin.net/reference/tools/testing/
<https://www.arin.net/reference/tools/testing/#:~:text=OT%26E%20is%20an%20environment%20that%20contains%20data;main%20ARIN%20services%3A>

Idea#6: Regular AfriNIC's Whois DB consistency check.

i6.1| start with the RIPE ARC [4];
i6.2| adapt to AfriNIC's environment;
i6.3| ..
__
[4]: The Assisted Registry Check - Let Us Help You!
<https://labs.ripe.net/author/matt_parker/the-assisted-regis
try-check-let-us-help-you/>

Idea#7: Supporting RPKI Ghostbusters Records (GbR) [5]

i7.1| follow-up IETF's activities;
i7.2| implement RFC6493 in adding the GbR record
 within the RPKI infrastructure, like other RIRs;
i7.3| launch the service on the OT&E environment;
i7.4| collect beta-tester volunteers' observations;
i7.5| adjust & push into production;
i7.6| plan to maintain the curve;
i7.7| ...
__
[5]: The Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI)
 Ghostbusters Record (RFC 6493) <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6493>

Idea#8: Supporting BGP Security Research Activities

i8.1| follow-up IETF's activities and contribute actively;
i8.2| work to become one of the early implementers;
i8.3| join the other developpers [6] actually working
 in implementing the RFCs [7,8,9] about BGPsec;
i8.4| write a *floss* working code to allow more
type of objects into RPKI repository;
i8.5| deploy the code into the OT&E environment;
i8.6| allow beta-tester volunteers to start creating,
at least, also their certificates;
i8.7| adjust & push into production environnement;
i8.8| ...
__
[6]:<https://www.nist.gov/services-resources/software/
bgp-secure-routing-extension-bgp-srx-software-suite>
<https://csrc.nist.gov/publications/detail/white-
paper/2021/09/15/bgp-secure-routing-extension-bgp-srx/final>
[7]: <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8205/>
[8]: <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8207/>
[9]: <https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/sidr/documents/>

Idea#9: AfriNIC's Compliance Dashboard

i9.1| develop a tool to help resource holders to check their compliance
with the CPM & RSA;
i9.2| deploy the code into the OT&E environment;
i9.3| allow beta-tester volunteers to play;
i9.4| adjust & push into production environnement;
i9.5| document the service collaboratively;
i9.6| ...

Idea#10: Any other.

i10.1| ...

> I would also like to seize the opportunity to invite everyone to
> participate in the Internet Summit Africa 2022. More details can be found
> on its website:
>

> https://2022.internetsummit.africa/

...maybe late, but someone should have explained
 well how (with which URI) to join a given session.

Thanks.

Shalom,
--sb.

--