[DBWG] Abuse contacts (?)

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Thu Sep 2 04:55:32 UTC 2021

Hi Ronald,

There's an "mnt-irt" attribute to the IP block and ASN objects.
It's optional in all of those; should point to an "irt" object.

This is how resource owners can add abuse contact information.
This is currently voluntary.

But I'd say that staff has in previous meeting presentations advised to
make use of this.

There is a policy proposal in the PDWG (since August 2018) to make an
abuse contact (through different DB mechanism) mandatory. This proposal
has faced some serious opposition.
https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2018-gen-001-d7

There is also an alternate proposal
https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2020-gen-005-d1
since Oct 2020.

Hope this helps.

Frank

[1]
whois -h whois.afrinic.net -- -v aut-num
whois -h whois.afrinic.net -- -v inetnum
whois -h whois.afrinic.net -- -v inet6num

mnt-irt

May appear in an inetnum, inet6num or aut-num object. It points to an
irt object representing a Computer Security Incident Response Team
(CSIRT) that handles security incidents for the address space
specified by the object.

An irt name is made up of letters, digits, the character
underscore "_", and the character hyphen "-"; it must start
with "irt-", and the last character of a name must be a
letter or a digit.