[DBWG] All AFRINIC-administered IP space

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Jul 25 21:26:33 UTC 2021

In message <81f262a2-595d-d2f6-e721-a51aeb27ede0 at geier.ne.tz>,
Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:

>I believe a resource member's contact-staff for AfriNIC might have

>changed/left/... so that we we could/should/? exclude space that was

>previously delegated by AfriNIC to a resource member and is now

>non-delegated for less than one month (...or two months?)

>What do others think?

While I understand this well-intentioned idea of an exception (in the
case of recently de-registered resources) I don't think this should
actually be necesary.

It is my belief that in all cases where AFRINIC staff de-register some
number resources, the (now former) registrant receives plenty of warning(s)
ahead of time that this is going to take place. They thus have plenty of
time to renumber their stuff into some different range, assuming that
they plan to keep their old stuff online at all. (Note that one reason
why number resources may get de-regiastered is due to non-payment of
fees. I'm sure that in at least some of these cases, and perhaps even
in all or nearly all of them, the company is on the verge of being wound
up permamently, so there isn't even a need to renumber into new space.)

In any case, this is a part of what people & companies are paying a hefty
annual fee to Merit/RADB for... customer support. If anyone feels that
they need their just-deleted RADB bogon route object back, then they are
*not* in a hopless situation. They have recourse. All they need do is
to pick up the phone and call the RADB people and then make their case
to them {RADB} for some special executive clemency... a special reprieve
from the routing gallows, so to speak.

Regards,
rfg