[DBWG] Internal AUP for email attachements & Working Documents through the WG (was: ORG-TYPE definitions)

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 16:06:15 UTC 2021

{start new thread from [1]}

Dear DBWG,

Hope you are doing well!

<tl;dr>
Should we agree on acceptable formats to use when we have to share some
working documents (WDs) through this WG?

A sort of internal AUP (Acceptable Use Policy), at least for email
attachements
and WD formatings. ..
</tl;dr>

...it's not the first time i read a complain [1] about the format or the
method used to share WDs through the DBWG's mailing list.

It might be obvious that those who are receiving emails in digest can not
receive an attached file...also to open a non plain text based file,
sometimes
in proprietary closed formats, it's necessary to have either a specific
reader's
app or an add-on to web browser...surely, some of us are reading from the
console/terminal...html & accessibility brings also concerns for some
readers...

Please for next times, maybe it could be interesting to consider to define
an internal AUP [2] at least for our WDs...i propose the following, if we
could agree on its basis:

~°~
• To share a simple text content:
•• put the content, to share, into a plain text file; and
•• if it is a WD, then add it inside this [3] repository and put its URI on
your email;
•• paste also the content on your email before sending it;
•• if there is at least a good reason [4] to attach a file to the email:
••• avoid to use proprietary closed formats;
••• consider the size/number of your file(s) before moving forward;
••• when the email has been sent with an attached file, go to the
mailinglist
archives page [5], copy the URI generated for the attached file; then paste
it in a new email with the same subject then send, so that those who
receive
email in digest mode are also served;
• To share a non plain-text, multimedia (image/audio/video), content/file:
•• go to a public file repository (maybe one provided by AfriNIC ;-)) where
you
can upload your file;
•• generate a sharable URI, copy it; and
•• paste it into your email before sending it;
• ...
~°~

Any thought? :-/

...please apologies, as i'm not a co-chair :'-(

Perhaps it's because i've heard that there is still no clear PDP here :-)

Thanks & Blessed saturday!
__
[1]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/dbwg/2021-February/000326.html>
[2]: Example of AUP for email attachements in mailinglist context
<https://www.w3.org/Mail/FAQ#attachments>
[3]: <https://github.com/afrinic-dbwg>
[4]: ...think of a spreadsheet, for example :-/
[5]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/dbwg/>

Shalom,
--sb.

Le vendredi 26 février 2021, Nishal Goburdhan <nishal at controlfreak.co.za> a
écrit :

> On 25 Feb 2021, at 17:05, Simon Seruyinda wrote:

> Hi Frank,

>> Please see attached the org-type description.

>> We need the working groups confirmation on whether to proceed to disable

>> the ones that are not applicable as described in the document.

>> Once the above is confirmed, next step will be to update these in the

>> WHOIS so that they are visible when queried with "-v organisation”.

>> Regards;

>> Simon

> could you please post this in plain text. some of us don’t click on

> random attachments (and it’s bad faith for you to propagate that notion ..)

> (i did run this through strings, but i want to be sure that what i read,

> was actually that which was published, before commenting)

> -n.

> [...]

Best Regards !
__
baya.sylvain[AT cmNOG DOT cm]|<www.cmnog.cm/dokuwiki>
__
#‎LASAINTEBIBLE‬|#‎Romains15‬:33«Que LE ‪#‎DIEU‬ de ‪#‎Paix‬ soit avec vous
tous! ‪#‎Amen‬!»
‪#‎MaPrière‬ est que tu naisses de nouveau. #Chrétiennement‬
«Comme une biche soupire après des courants d’eau, ainsi mon âme soupire
après TOI, ô DIEU!»(#Psaumes42:2)