[DBWG] ORG-TYPE definitions

James james.chirwa at afrinic.net
Fri Feb 26 15:05:23 UTC 2021

Dear Frank,

The status is being considered as a feasible use case to cater for the
certain business scenarios, where closed organisations may hold the
status for a specific period of time before being finally removed.

However, the ORG-HDL being relied upon by most internal systems, a
thorough impact assessment is being done first.

Regards,
James

On 26/02/2021 13:28, Frank Habicht wrote:

> Dear AfriNIC team,

> my initial reaction on reading the list was that I'm eager to know more

> about what the plans for 'CLOSED' are. Can you explain more?

> o 'CLOSED'

> This represents organisations that were at one point an active AFRINIC

> resource or associate member but no longer holds an active agreement

> with AFRINIC. (No applicable use case in AFRINIC for now but to be put

> to use soon).

> Thanks,

> Frank

> On 26/02/2021 12:20, Frank Habicht wrote:

>> the content of the PDF can really easily be shared as plain text as well:

>> Org-type Status Descriptions

>> org-type can have one of these values:

>> o 'IANA'

>> This represents the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. The Public

>> Technical Identifiers (PTI) performs the IANA functions related to the

>> global IP and AS number spaces, such as allocations made to Regional

>> Internet Registries

>> o 'RIR'

>> This represents Regional Internet Registries only, these registries have

>> a primary role of managing and distributing public Internet address

>> space within their respective service regions.

>> Currently, there are five RIRs: AFRINIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, and RIPE NCC

>> o 'LIR'

>> This represents all the Local Internet Registries, these are Internet

>> Registries that receive allocations from an RIR and primarily assign

>> address space to their customers also called 'end-users'. Their

>> customers are other ISPs and end-users

>> o 'EU-PI'

>> This represents all the organisations (End-Sites) who receive portable

>> IP address space directly from the RIR to run their own networks. These

>> addresses cannot be sub-delegated or reassigned outside these organisations.

>> o 'EU-AS'

>> This represents all the End-Sites holding only ASN resources received

>> directly from the RIR.

>> o 'MEMBER-ONLY'

>> This represents a non-active organisation that holds no IP resources

>> from the RIR.

>> The organisation may have applied for membership or is no longer an

>> AFRINIC Resource Member.

>> o 'CLOSED'

>> This represents organisations that were at one point an active AFRINIC

>> resource or associate member but no longer holds an active agreement

>> with AFRINIC. (No applicable use case in AFRINIC for now but to be put

>> to use soon).

>> o 'INACTIVE-MEMBER'

>> No applicable use case in AFRINIC (can be removed)

>> o 'NON-REGISTRY'

>> No applicable use case in AFRINIC (can be removed)

>> o 'OTHER'

>> These organisations can be created by any person on the AFRINIC WHOIS

>> database for the purpose of sub-allocation, but does not represent an

>> AFRINIC Resource Member

> [...]

James Chirwa
Acting Manager, Member Services Department,
AFRINIC Ltd.
t: +230 403 51 00 | f: +230 466 6758 |
tt: @afrinic | w: www.afrinic.net
SM: facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia