[DBWG] person without email... and domain object size

Cedrick Adrien Mbeyet cedrick.mbeyet at afrinic.net
Thu Sep 10 18:33:07 UTC 2020

Dear Frank,

Thanks for the proposition, it is well noted.

I will ping you off list so we can discuss further on that.

Best regards,

Cedrick Adrien Mbeyet
IT Infrastructure Unit Manager, AFRINIC Ltd.
t: +230 403 5100 / 403 5115 | f: +230 466 6758 | tt: @afrinic | w: www.afrinic.net
facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia

On 10/09/2020 22:30, Frank Habicht wrote:

> Dear Cedrick,

> It is ok with me if you use one of the 2 VMs in Dar es Salaam for auth

> DNS to also do the digging for the lameness, ie as a second node.

> I trust these are sufficiently diverse from your 1st node, they are in

> AS327844, with upstreams AS37084 and AS30844.

> Hope that can help.

> Regards,

> Frank

> On 10/09/2020 21:20, Cedrick Adrien Mbeyet wrote:

>> Dear dbwg,

>> Referring to the previous email from my colleague Simon.

>> We indeed delayed the deletion of the lame records for multiple reason

>> among them the absence of a second nodes. We had some security

>> challenges that needed to be addressed before being able to plan the

>> second nodes.

>> We do apologize for the delay on the second node implementation and rest

>> tune as deployment will be scheduled very soon. And usual, announced on

>> the usual channels.

>> Thanks and regards,

>> --

>> _______________________________________________________________

>> Cedrick Adrien Mbeyet

>> IT Infrastructure Unit Manager, AFRINIC Ltd.

>> t: +230 403 5100 / 403 5115 | f: +230 466 6758 | tt: @afrinic | w: www.afrinic.net

>> facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia

>> On 07/09/2020 16:59, Simon Seruyinda wrote:

>>> Hi Frank,

>>> The e-mail attribute was made mandatory in July 2012.

>>> I have done a quick check in the database and we have 1048 person objects without the email attribute.

>>> Most of these objects belong to legacy resource holders and were imported into the database during the initial setup.

>>> Many are referenced in different objects. Below are some stats regarding number of objects that are referencing these person objects as admin-c,tech-c or zone-c.

>>> zone-c:

>>> ===============

>>> 51 domain objects

>>> tech-c

>>> ===============

>>> as-block 248

>>> as-set 11

>>> domain 35

>>> inetnum 574

>>> mntner 60

>>> org 162

>>> role 7

>>> route-set 6

>>> admin-c:

>>> ==============

>>> as-block 248

>>> as-set 11

>>> aut-num 2

>>> domain 49

>>> inet6num 1

>>> inetnum 731

>>> mntner 71

>>> org 137

>>> role 4

>>> route-set 6

>>> There is an ongoing project internally focused on contacting these legacy holders in order to update their contact details in the database. Another activity, under the scope of the whois business rules inconsistencies is also planned to get the emails updated for any resource members who may be having no emails in the any of their person objects. Incases where efforts to get in touch with the resource holder proves futile, a temporary measure using AFRINIC’s placeholder email accounts is undertaken. These activities are expected to decrease the number significantly.

>>> With regards to the lame delegation handling, we are not doing deletion yet since we are running only one node to do the lame delegation checks. Once the second node is setup, we shall begin the deletion otherwise for now we run the risk of a few false positives.

>>> Regarding the rdns objects size, thanks for bringing this up for discussion. Currently we have a limit for IPv4 set to minimum of /24, but there is no limit implemented for IPv6, so it will go up to 128.

>>> I agree this could lead to unnecessary db growth and i think a limit should be set. Input from the DBWG members on what would be the appropriate minimum would highly be appreciated.

>>> Regards;

>>> Simon