[DBWG] Order of DBM objects within whois.afrinic.net IRR DB

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Fri Dec 20 09:05:50 UTC 2019

On 18 Dec 2019, at 19:25, Ben Maddison via DBWG wrote:

>> For those who need to have the attributes ordered, we could do it on

>> the fly with a query option (ex: -o or --order-attributes).

> I wouldn't bother with that. I can see no use-case, and it clutters

> the

> docs ;-)

it does not seem to me that providing an alternative to people that
might still want this, is a lot of work either, so i do not see the harm
in leaving this for people that want it. unless, afrinic says
implementing this is tough ..
and, procedurally, if you plan to deprecate re-ordering (the existing
default behaviour) you’d need to at least write that up, with a big
warning label that says : “the default behaviour has changed”, with
sufficient notice, and why.

i’m sure the chair will step in to correct me at some point ..

i don’t intend to hold up what seems to me to be a trivial thing. but
in the interests of Doing It Correctly, for when you need to change the
default behaviour of a not-so-trivial thing, well, you see where i am
going with this ..

—n.