[DBWG] RIPE proposed changes to the routing registry

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Wed Jun 13 12:18:19 UTC 2018

Dear Madvhi,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 09:43:13PM +0400, Madhvi Gokool wrote:
> We (AFRINIC staff) have planned to look into the possible solutions &
> their implications. We shall revert back to this working group with an
> update.
>
> At this moment, I unfortunately don't have an ETA.. this will be
> possible after our brainstorming this week.

I'd like to emphasize the importance of an expedient resolution to this
issue. There is now AfriNIC members asking the RIPE DB-WG to delay
closing the security hole that exists in the RIPE DB:

    https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2018-June/005890.html

It is of course very strange that AfriNIC members feel they have to rely
on RIPE infrastructure and services rather than be able to use AfriNIC
services (which as an added benefit are the only authoritative source).

It is becoming a very unfortunate situation, with a very clear solution
on the horizon: just make the IRR route-object creation process the same
like how RPKI ROAs can be created without the consent of the Origin ASN.

Kind regards,

Job