[DBWG] Making mnt-by mandatory on person objects

Michel ODOU michel.odou at afrinic.net
Mon Jan 16 12:18:09 UTC 2017

Dear DBWG members,

Please note that to fix this issue, the following features are currently
tested and will be deployed with the next WHOIS release:

1. Every time someone creates an unprotected (no mnt-by attribute)
person object, a maintainer will be generated and associated with this
person object. This maintainer will have an auto-generated password that
will be sent to all the emails specified in the person object. The
generated maintainer will be locked and the user will not be able to
modify it.

2. The auto-generated maintainer will be deleted automatically when it
is no more in use (i.e when the person object is protected with another
maintainer and the generated one is not referenced anymore).

3. For all the person objects that are in the DB that do not have an
mnt-by, a maintainer will be generated and associated to the object and
the password of this maintainer will be sent to the email address
specified in the person object if it exists or the notify email address
otherwise. Note that some objects have no email address at all. They
will still be protected. We don't expect these objects to be ever
claimed but in case it happens, the "owner" will have to prove the
hostmasters that he is the legit owner.

Regards,
Michel