[Community-Discuss] Governance Committee Communique

Mirriam mirriamlauren at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 10:08:37 UTC 2022

 Hello Abdulkarim,
 >>If you think that it is right for the board members to be the ones to appoint fellow board   >>members on a long term basis, appoint all members of the governance committee, all   >>members of the appeal committee and all other committees and appoint the co-chair for the   >>PDP by proxy then please come out clearly and say you think it is right.

Pardon me, but I am not sure if you are completely not aware or it's just sheer ignorance on your part because, The AFRINIC Constitution or Bylaws in Article 15 (power of directors) subsection 15.2 (10) clearly states as below;
15.2 above, the Directors shall be entitled to:
15.2(10)  to appoint such committees for such reasons and with such terms of reference as they shall consider necessary or desirable.
Therefore, the committees your are referring too above (GovCom, Appeals Committee etc) exist by means of provisions of the Constitution of AFRINIC which the board is mandated to abide by and the board resolutions below.
Governance Committee https://afrinic.net/board/meeting/2015#r254
Resolution 201511.254 reads; WHEREAS the community has asked the Board to create a Governance Committee;
The need for this Appeal Committee is specified in section 3.5 of the Consolidated Policy Manual and the relevant section states as below;

The AFRINIC CPM Section 3.5.3 has a statement that contains the sentence that reads; "The AFRINIC Board of Directors shall appoint a recall committee".  Therefore in the event that a recall committee findings end up with the removal of Co-chairs, the powers to appointing the new co-chairs rests with the PDWG and the community and not the board.
Therefore, as for your point of Co-Chairs appointment by proxy, its completely wrong for you to make false statements like this because as I recall, the PDWG selected the current co-chairs last years and the entire discussion on how the selection was done is publicly archived on this mailing list.
All your claims are false because they are not backed by facts. I have attempted to present to you real facts using the various sections of the Bylaws, Resolutions and PDP Manual on how the board is empowered by the book to appoint all this committees.

  >>My mail is just to put things on the record because I know at the moment there is nothing like      >>the authentic AFRINIC community except a few individuals who are really honest.

The above proves my point of the cynicism that continues to create distrust in our community. With all the challenges that AFRINIC is facing today, AFRINIC and it's community needs Positivity not endless Negativity.

Happy Eid al Fitr
Mirriam.