[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Fwd: NRA/NRS petitions on behalf of Members

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Jun 24 03:32:10 UTC 2022

In message <CAEqgTWY+dj+E+dtWV6pAjNhtCcw=E+rgog58Z0Hn=1Z6gdyAEA at mail.gmail.com>
Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>This forum is for public discourse and not intimidation.

Apparently not always.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  I hope that someone who is more familiar with AFRINIC formalities and
procedures will help me here.  I wish to make a formal proposal to amend
the AFRINIC Code Of Conduct, but I have no idea how to go about that, so
I need help.

Specifically, after having reviewed the Code Of Conduct that is online on
the AFRINIC web site just now, I see that it fails to specifically and
explicitly prohibit the making of threats of either (a) bodily harm or
(b) legal action, either against any individual and/or against the
membership or community as a whole.

The latter is something that we have all just now witnessed on this very
mailing list.  This is disgusting in the extreme, and is a clear and
unambiguous attempt to bully the entire community into silence via threats
of legal action.

Subject to the rules of various applicable African jurisdictions, anyone
is free to sue anyone else, at any time, and for any cause for which they
feel that they have a reasonable cause of action.  And anyone can do that,
at any time, *without* announcing their intentions on an AFRINIC mailing
list.  It is however highly and clearly inappropriate to post about such
legal actions, or to even make legal threats on any AFRINIC mailing list,
because any such legal actions, if they are ever brought at all, are
clearly private matters between the parties and their attorneys... private
matters which clearly do not involve the AFRINIC community as a whole.

It is my opinion that the current AFRINIC Code of Conduct does *not* clearly
and unambiguously state that threats of either bodily harm or legal action
are violations of the Code of Conduct, and as a general principal I *do not*
feel that there should now be any enforcement of the Code of Conduct against
any behavior which is not already specifically and clearly prohibited by the
current Code of Conduct.  (That, I think, would be unfair and a violation of
due process.)  On that basis, I *do not* personally judge that
<tech at cloudinnovation.org> has comitted a violation of the current Code of
conduct, as currently written, but I would urge the greatest possible haste
in amending the CoC so as to make such threats, and indeed any and all threats
a clear and specific violation of the CoC.