[Community-Discuss] Demanding Clarification and/or apology from PTA

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Jun 18 17:38:29 UTC 2022

On 16 Jun 2022, at 11:43 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

On Jun 15, 2022, at 13:07 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:

Since you’re opining on such matters, do you believe a "plain text reading" of the applicable documents allows AFRINIC to restrict use to the same purpose for which they were originally requested and issued?

Unless notification was provided pursuant to RSA clause 4(iv)(3), yes.

Owen -

If you are referring to clause 4(c)(iv)(3), then I am rather surprised, since that clause refers not to simply a “notification" to AFRINIC, but rather an "update _any_ data submitted to AFRINIC” (emphasis added)…  there is quite a substantial difference.

My understanding is that in the case of Cloud Innovation, this requirement was met by updates to WHOIS, as no other process for providing said updates is provided in the RSA, CPM, or bylaws.

There are numerous clauses in the AFRINIC RSA that can require a party provide notice (and/or updating associated information) to AFRINIC despite having no specific process for submission – and it is my understanding that parties manage to provide such notice and/or updated information via actual mail/courier/email processes all the time.   Is it your belief that simple Whois updates would suffice for any of the other AFRINIC RSA notice/update clauses?   Why would this be the case?

I only ask because I don’t quite understand how a Whois update could ever considered a substantive response to a requirement for a party to update “any data submitted to AFRINIC" [as per 4(c)(iv)(3)] – and particularly in circumstances where the new intended usage has substantially changed from the original request for resources.  Does your understanding of the situation include how or why such a Whois update could possible satisfy the irrevocable obligation to keep updated the information supplied to AFRINIC during RSA application?

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO