[Community-Discuss] Fwd: DEFAMATION AGAINST MR. LU HENG :-/

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Jan 10 20:06:03 UTC 2022

In message <AM7PR03MB6451B4BF11F0572C45959465EE4A9 at AM7PR03MB6451.eurprd03.prod.outlook.com>,
Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:

>Calling someone a criminal in a public forum without any charges having been
>filed or proven - is defamatory.  It's pretty simple really - just - do't do it

Although I myself have used that exact word here with reference to certain
parties, I have done so only in cases where I believe that facts & evidence
are abundant and irrefutable, even in the absence of formal charges having
(yet) been filed.

That having been said, I would generally agree with Andrew's advice here.  For
cases where the facts and evidence may perhaps be refutable, I prefer the term
"crook", which is subject to various interpretations and which thus might be
classified, in a legal context, as a statement of opinion, rather than as a
statement of fact.  (And that fine distinction is of great importance in most
jurisdictions and in the context of defamation litigation.)

Regards,
rfg